Saturday, February 26, 2011

Italy 4

Today I went skiing with a few people from our group. Well, technically I was skiing alone, but they were on the mountain with me.  I went on the first run with a woman from our group. She didn’t really give me a choice of which trail to go on though.  She just told me, “We are going on this one.”  It was a red (intermediate).  And I didn’t really want to go on that one for the first run today, but I didn’t really have a choice.  So we went down that one, me very slowly.  I fell at one point, but it wasn’t a major wipeout or anything. It was more like I took a turn too sharply and kinda floated to the ground. So it didn’t hurt or anything, which was good. After that run, my legs were complaining about skiing…so I asked if we could go on an easier run, and she said that I could, but she wasn’t going to. So I did. It was only like 9:45 and we were meeting at 12:00, so I had a lot of time to ski by myself. I did like a gazillion (or, ya know, like 10) runs on my own. I did them all on the same hill. It was funny, because at the top I had to watch out for all the little kiddie classes that were learning to ski, and at the bottom I had to pay attention to all the really good skiers that were going 8000 miles an hour. But it was good for me to work on the basics, like turning, and stopping when I wanted to. 

I met up with everyone for lunch (pizza and flan for dessert, yum), and then I did two more runs, this time a guy from our group went with me. It was starting to snow a bit, so we only had like 15 feet visibility, which was actually good for me. Because it was more instinct then, and less “ok, if I go here it will be faster, and here is steeper” and such. On the second run I was doing good till the end. To quote one of my favorite books, “I’m actually quite good. I can slalom! I can turn! I can- Smack! –fall on my butt.” So yea, I wiped out…majorly. Like, I hit some ice, and knew I was going down, so I tried to ease into it a bit. But either it didn’t help, or I was doing it wrong, because somehow I ended up on my back, feet pointing in (painful in skis) and headfirst down the hill. Quite a sight, I’m sure. But I was helped up, and made it alright the rest of the way. It was getting late-ish, so after that I rode the lift back down, and returned my skis, and caught the shuttle back to the hotel.

Here I put on my swimsuit and went down to the pool, nabbing a book from the resting room on my way. (The book I started yesterday.) I read at the pool for a while, and then swam for a little bit, and read some more. Then up to change for dinner. Dinner, then back here. Now I’m about to go to sleep. I have no idea what I’m doing tomorrow, but I think maybe cross country again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment