Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Day 47

So I just want to say, I'm trying to learn the language. Really, I am.

But I still have to translate things. So when people talk to me, they forget that they have to wait. They don't have to say the words super slow, but they have to give me a minute to go over the sentence and translate it. Which no one does. I'm not at the point where I can think in Slovak yet! I still have to translate! Give me a chance people, I'm not a dumb as I sound. At least, until I got here I didn't think I was.

Dance class is still fun. And my friends are awesome. I'm excited for our movie day, Katka and Olivia! But the adults...I understand that the teachers can't take time to explain to the one exchange in the room. That's fine, I try to at least listen to the language, since I have no idea what the meaning is. But I wish the Rotarians here would try to help more. And by help, I don't mean lecture me on the fact that I'm not a prodigy when it comes to learning a new language. Yea, I can't talk. Yea, I'm trying to learn. Yea, telling me this doesn't help, it makes me want to not learn, so I don't have to understand all the things I'm doing wrong. But everyone: I AM TRYING. I'm doing the best that I can, so get over it.

6 comments:

  1. Kathleen, you are doing great! 47 days is nothing as far as learning a brand new language! I have been following your Blog as well as Sarah's... you will be fine.. I love that you are honest and open about what you are doing and going through. Embrace the experience, laugh at your mistakes, revel in your achievements! (corny, right?) Good luck and know that there are a lot of people who are thinking about you back here in America!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's frustrating right now but I'm sure it will get better, just hang in there, it just takes time.

    And think of how much you know already - if I were there everyone would have to speak in super slow motion for me to get it and you don't even need them to talk slowly, you just need time to translate, that's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, sometime we need to speak slowly to gb even when talking in perfect english...lol love ya aunt gen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, wow jack. ur nice.

    and no, it sounds good, but in reality, i need ppl to say like 2 words, pause, and then say 2 more...so its even slower then normal-slow...oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, what they said. Except not what Jack said. He's the big brother, and it's part of his job to harass you. Your Uncle Jim survived - you will too. :÷}

    ReplyDelete