Friday, November 19, 2010

So Predictable

Last night I went to see the Russian National Ballet (or something like that. I'm not really sure.) with Andrea, Gregor, and Babicka. It was really fun.

We didn't see any specific ballet, it was a gala thingy, or something like that. (As you notice, I'm not so good with the details. I do have a lot of pictures, though.) We saw parts from The Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty, (I think) Giselle, and a few others that I don't know.

I was very happy with what they showed from the Nutcracker, namely the Russian dance. If you aren't familiar with it, it is the part in the Nutcracker where they are in the Land of Sweets. There are 4 dances, the Chinese Tea, Spanish Chocolate, Arabian Coffee, and Russian Candy Canes. (I have also seen it with French something, but I don't remember what it was. All I remember is that they started playing the wrong music for the Frenchies, so after their dance, we think they got mad because we didn't see the French when the rest of the dancers had a dance together. [This was a few years ago when I saw the Moscow Ballet.] But I digress.) Anyways, I love the Russian dance because the male part has these amazing jumps that he does for almost the entire dance. It's really cool to watch. And amazing to see how high they can jump! Also, I remember thinking as the male dancer came onstage, "Finally, he has on proper trousers." I think the British English-English class is getting to me. Although I do still giggle when someone calls them "trousers", so I don't know what the voice in my head was thinking (maybe it wanted me to laugh? I try not to listen to its suggestions, the last time I did, I ended up naming my penguin Carlos.) But I know that I was glad he was wearing real pants and a shirt, not the white tights and midriff shirts the other male dancers were wearing...I will never understand why they don't wear longer shirts. The current "male ballerina" (male ballet dancer?) look is not a good look. It's just not.

Swan Lake-The Swan That Refuses to Die for At
Least 27 Minutes(Or So it Seems)
I have a lot of pictures, but they are really blurry because I didn't set my camera on "sport" or whatever to take motion pictures. But I have a video of most of the finale, it's pretty sweet. If you want the link, comment for it, because I don't want this to just turn into a video diary, and I'm not sure if you are all interested in watching the ballet(:

After the performance, when we were walking out, I saw two little girls in the lobby. They were about 7 years old, and as I watched, one started running, with an almost comically intent expression on her face. I distinctly remember thinking to myself, "I bet she's gonna jump." And lo and behold, she did her version of a grand jeté. It was quite funny, in they way she executed it, and in the fact that it was completely predictable. I mean, really, after a ballet, you see a kid running intently through the lobby while another kid watches, obviously they are trying what they just saw. Still very amusing.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Thanks for posting the video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't see the video, or a link to it. I feel neglected and left out. 8-€

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i said comment for it...its on my youtube page (kbuck1811) but heres the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0w-2AKWxjyo

    ReplyDelete